Thought #38. Dreams.


The majestic St Pancras Railway Station is seething with people. Clara stands near the platform where the train to Paris is about to depart. Embracing a baby warmly, she shuffles her feet nervously.

The sounds of trains rumble along, a feeling of growing anticipation runs through her. After a few minutes, Clara intently listens to the emotionless voice that utters the expected announcement: their train is getting into the station. She looks at the vanishing point as the Eurostar slows down and comes to a standstill. Five minutes and the journey will start.

The train railway carriage smells of life as London is left behind.

- Paul, darling. Please, wake up, I have something to tell you.
- I hear you.
- I'm very happy.
- Me too.
- All I wanted was to be with you, to have our own baby. You can't know how many times I have prayed to God for this moment.
- I see.
- If only things hadn't been so difficult.
- I didn't want to hurt you.
- I know. We cannot change the past.

The ticket collector enters the carriage. Only a woman with her baby at the end. He advances quickly.

- Good evening, your ticket please.

Clara's has the empty look of people on the vege of madness.

- Are you ok?

Clara remains silent.

- Can I offer you a glass of water?

No response.

- Miss?

A baby doll drops to her feet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought #1. Practice makes perfect.

Thought #22. The elephant in the room.

Thought #32. Invisible to the naked eye.